Survey Reveals High Marks for Broadway Dental

02.02.12

Doctors and staff at Broadway Dental are reflecting on a landmark year for their business including the addition of a new full-time doctor, a growing staff and, of course, the opening of a new state-of-the-art dental clinic. Amidst all these changes, surveys were emailed to all available patients who received dental care in the third quarter of 2011. In total, 65 patients completed the entire 12 question survey. To the delight of doctors, the results came back overwhelmingly positive.

Among the most notable results, figures showed that 96% of patients are likely to recommend Broadway Dental to a friend. A staggering 91% rated the cleanliness and comfort of the clinic as "excellent," the highest possible rating; and 97% rated the quality of dental care as "above average" and "excellent."

Other notable results include:

  • From a list of positive and negative words, patients chose the words "friendly," "caring" and "professional" as the top 3 words to describe Broadway Dental.
  • 65% of Broadway Dental patients have dental insurance coverage, leaving 35% that do not.
  • 89% of patients say they usually or always brush and floss according to dentist recommendations.
  • 88% rate their overall dental health as good or excellent
  • 88% visit Broadway Dental at least twice per year

Patients were also encouraged to leave comments. One new patient remarked, "This visit was my first to Broadway Dental, and I was very pleased. No one likes to go to the dentist, but the staff made me feel very comfortable." Doctors and staff will continue to resource the information for ways to improve the patient experience, with plans to continue surveys each quarter. Dr. Kristi Bock said the survey results are one of the most valuable resources for keeping the patient experience ideal. "We're always looking for ways to improve," said Dr. Bock, "And truly listening to our patients is key."